I was curious if I could script a dictionary attack against one of the OSX Lion File Vault v2 encrypted external drives. If you haven’t done it. You need to be on Lion. Grab a spare USB storage stick. Make sure to backup any data from the device first. Encrypting the device by the book will erase and destroy the existing contents.
- Go into “Disk Utility”
- Plug in the desired USB storage stick
- Click on the device in the list
- Click on the Erase tab
- Pull down the Format box and choose one of the Encrypted options like: Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)
- Click Erase
- When prompted provide a desired password.
Now that you have setup an encrypted device you can use that to test this process.
- First eject the usb device
- Unplug it
- Plug it back in
- Click cancel and do not enter the passphrase
Now onto the rest of the process.